poop 911 Poop 911 Home

Planting season is here, but could your pooch get poisoned from your new yard additions?

Summer time is here and many of us are planting new shrubs and annuals to brighten up our yards.  While taking place in the process of brightening our yard we went shopping at a local nursery and took our dogs of course cause they love to go shopping and anywhere we go really.  A helpful employee at the nursery was helping us check out and we had stocked up on oleander cause we just loved how they would look in our backyard.  To our surprise the very knowledgeable employee put 2 and 2 together and said “you know that oleander is poisonous for your dogs”

Well no we didn’t!  So it got me thinking that there must be other plants that are poisonous to our pups as well.  After doing some research we complied a list of some common ones that we thought would be helpful.  Take a look at the list so you aren’t poisoning your puppy unknowingly.   Most of these are really a major concern if your dog likes to dig or munch on the plant life, which they often do.

———————————————–

Lilies


Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.

Sago Palm

All parts of Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.

Tulip/Narcissus bulbs

The bulb portions of Tulipa/Narcissus spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.

Azalea/Rhododendron


Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.

Oleander


All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects—including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

Castor Bean


The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.

Cyclamen


Cylamen species contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.

Kalanchoe


This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.

Yew


Taxus spp. contains a toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.

Amaryllis


Common garden plants popular around Easter, Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.

Autumn Crocus


Ingestion of Colchicum autumnale by pets can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.

Chrysanthemum


These popular blooms are part of the Compositae family, which contain pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, if eaten. In certain cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed.

English Ivy


Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy, Hedera helix contains triterpenoid saponins that, should pets ingest, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.

Peace Lily (AKA Mauna Loa Peace Lily)


Spathiphyllum contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.

Pothos


Pothos (both Scindapsus and Epipremnum) belongs to the Araceae family. If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

Schefflera


Schefflera and Brassaia actinophylla contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.

The ASPCA also has a spreadsheet for a more comprehensive list.

none

Tips for your pooch & you having a successful summer season.

Summer is upon us.  Pool parties, bbqs, holiday weekends. and lots of other outdoor based activities are in full swing.  Its time to get ready to have that special event in your backyard.


Summer Fiestas

Before you go bonkers trying to have the perfect yard for the event remember to scoop the dog poop.   Dog poop in the warm summer months can be at it most unpleasant.  Heat and humidity only increase the smell and pungent smell of dog waste.  Make sure you not only scoop it or have a pooper scooper company service your yard but have it removed from the premises.  Baking in your trash can be almost as bad as sitting in your back yard.  Yuck!


School’s out for Summer.

The kids are out of school for the summer and gonna be full of energy and playing outside in the yard.  Children are constantly running inside and outside tracking whatever they have on thier shoes all over the house.  The parasites and pests found in and around dog waste thrive in warmer temperatures and become the most active and aggressive during the summer months.  Having the kids in the yard playing all day just isn’t smart while the dog waste is capable of spreading infection and other diseases.


Flower Power

Summer months are usually the greatest for planting landscapes and bedding plants.  Dog waste isn’t fertilizer not matter what you might have thought up to this point.  It is highly acidic.  Only herbivores waste (cow, deer, etc) can be used as fertilizer.  Dog food has animal proteins in it that make your dogs waste damaging to plants and landscapes.  Dog waste can destroy lawn equipment so make sure to pick up before you mow over it as well.  It can cause premature breakdown of machinery because of it chemical make up.  If you are going to plant beautiful plants this summer make sure to pick up the waste or use a repellent.  Some of our franchises, such as Minneapolis are now offering repellent treatments that keep dogs off of treated area.  It is non toxic to plants and animal it simply keeps your dog from digging or defecating in that area.

Have a great summer!

none