poop 911 Poop 911 Home

Planting season is here, but could your pooch get poisoned from your new yard additions?

Summer time is here and many of us are planting new shrubs and annuals to brighten up our yards.  While taking place in the process of brightening our yard we went shopping at a local nursery and took our dogs of course cause they love to go shopping and anywhere we go really.  A helpful employee at the nursery was helping us check out and we had stocked up on oleander cause we just loved how they would look in our backyard.  To our surprise the very knowledgeable employee put 2 and 2 together and said “you know that oleander is poisonous for your dogs”

Well no we didn’t!  So it got me thinking that there must be other plants that are poisonous to our pups as well.  After doing some research we complied a list of some common ones that we thought would be helpful.  Take a look at the list so you aren’t poisoning your puppy unknowingly.   Most of these are really a major concern if your dog likes to dig or munch on the plant life, which they often do.



Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.

Sago Palm

All parts of Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.

Tulip/Narcissus bulbs

The bulb portions of Tulipa/Narcissus spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.


Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.


All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects—including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

Castor Bean

The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.


Cylamen species contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.


This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.


Taxus spp. contains a toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.


Common garden plants popular around Easter, Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.

Autumn Crocus

Ingestion of Colchicum autumnale by pets can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.


These popular blooms are part of the Compositae family, which contain pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, if eaten. In certain cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed.

English Ivy

Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy, Hedera helix contains triterpenoid saponins that, should pets ingest, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.

Peace Lily (AKA Mauna Loa Peace Lily)

Spathiphyllum contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.


Pothos (both Scindapsus and Epipremnum) belongs to the Araceae family. If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.


Schefflera and Brassaia actinophylla contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.

The ASPCA also has a spreadsheet for a more comprehensive list.


10. Because its not gonna go any where soon if you don’t

Happy First Birthday - Dog Poop

– Dog waste takes up to 1 year to full break down a pile into organic components. Until then it is sitting, stinking, polluting, and killing your back yard landscape.

9. Poop and all its friends

– Dog waste attracts pests, flies, maggots, millipedes, rats, and parasitic worms.  Having dog waste present in your backyard can increase all of these critters in your yard and knocking at your door almost 10 fold.

8. Because its poop!

Unless you are dung beetle no one wants to be around the stuff, esp your family or neighbors, its just plain unpleasant.

7. Some cities will fine you if you don’t scoop.

Almost every metropolitan communities have laws in place that require people pick up after their dog in public places and municipal areas. Some cities are even putting into place similar laws for private property as well because watersheds and adjacent properties can become polluted from high concentrations of dog waste.

6. Your yard is your kids play place.

Kids have great imaginations and endless energy which usually leads to them getting into everything. They love to run, bounce, throw and kick almost anything. Often times dog waste can become tracked in on a pair of shoes and all the bacteria are in your house. ewwwww.  The backyard is usually a very safe place for your kids to play, but not with dog waste all over it.

5. Transferable microbes from dog waste to other dogs and children

Dogs can be a significant host of giardia and salmonella.  Parvo Virus, Hookworms, Roundworms, Giardia and Coccidia can all be transferred to humans and/or other dogs from dog waste.

4. Watershed pollution-

The supply of drinking water varies from city to city but all our lakes and rivers are all filled with run off from surrounding areas.  In metropolitan and suburban areas that means your property.  Dog waste is becoming an increasing problem due to the number of dogs we own and the density of our cities is rising.

3. Dog waste kill grass and plants.

– Dog poop isn’t fertilizer!!  it is very acidic and its ph level will chemically burn and destroy plants, grass and anything else growing in your yard

2. Dog waste destroys lawn equipment.

– Being highly acidic and of unusual consistency it can attach itself to inner workings of of machinery and cause premature breakdown.



Yep its that time of year again

Spring is upon us and many people are ready to emerge and enjoy the outdoors with our pets.  Spending time outside this time of year can be great while temperatures are mild for humans and pets.  After a long day of enjoying the outside the last thing you want to see is that old familiar itching that some invading flea has found his way on to your pooch.

When you get your yard ready for spring and summer obviously priority #1 should be hiring a top notch pooper scooper and pet waste clean up company like Poop 911… but one other thing to keep in mind is that it is FLEA SEASON.

For the yard, if you want to treat the yard with a long-term flea control, you might want to look into something such as nematodes. Wet the yard first. Apply the first treatment to kill eggs and larvae, and then in 5-7 days apply a second treatment to kill adults. The nematodes keep on working for up to 2 years depending of how much you water the yard and how hot summertime gets. The nematodes also knock out fire ants. I can’t think of a better one-two punch!!! Fleas and fire ants…. seriously doesn’t anyone like either one of those guys?

Flea control in the house can be managed by mixing Borax with a small amount of rosemary and shake over your carpet.  It isn’t pleasant so just let it sit as long as you can handle it.  Vacuum up the powder and toss the vacuum bag. To get rid of the unhatched eggs repeat vacuuming for one week.

Please follow the directions, even with natural flea prevention products.

Dog poop piles up in your yard when you don’t scoop it.  Fleas, various beatles and other pests swarm to large area of dog waste.  Removing the pet waste is a good start and then a follow up with some of these remedies can ensure your dog a safe and happy summer inside and out of the house.